According to online sources, 11th September 2015 is “Make your Bed Day”! However, whilst this might sound like a simple task, a surprising number of people (young and old) actually find this one of the most difficult household chores and have come up with some pretty creative techniques for putting a duvet cover on:
1. The Hand Puppet - Turning the duvet cover inside out to flip it over is the most popular approach.
2. The Wrestler - Getting inside the duvet cover with the duvet to wrestle it into place is a close second
3. The Recruiter – Almost a quarter of people make changing a duvet a two-man job.
4. The Clip Method - Using clips or pegs to hold the corners in place is the next most popular method.
5. The Double Fold - Folding the duvet up and shaking it in.
To help ease the nation’s frustrations, here are a couple of step by step guides to the most popular approaches for changing your duvet cover - so now there’s no excuse for not having an expertly made bed!
1. The Hand Puppet
- This method starts with your duvet cover inside out then, from the cover opening, walk your arms up inside it to each of the top corners.
- Holding the cover corners grab each corner of the duvet, flip the cover over and shake the duvet out.
- Hold it as high as you can and let gravity do its work!
- Finally, tuck the bottom corners in, close the bottom and smooth it out.
2. The Double Fold
- Lay out the duvet cover flat on your bed and, going towards the opening, fold it twice; first in half then in half again.
- Do the same with the duvet, folding in half and half again.
- With the duvet cover opening on top, stuff the folded duvet inside the cover.
- Hold the corners together and shake the duvet into the cover. Easy!
3. The Roll On
- Lay the duvet cover inside out on the bed and put the duvet on top of it.
- Starting at the closed end, roll the two together like a giant sausage.
- Open the cover and reach in, grab the end of the duvet roll and pull it through.
- Do the same with the other end and pull the rest of your duvet sausage through.
- Unroll the duvet across your bed, fasten the cover and sleep tight!